CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 03, 2008

Warm feet

As I was putting Markenley to bed the other night he proceeded to tell me that when he was in Haiti his feet were cold. He also said he had no jammies, pillows or blankies. Markenley is often worried that when he wakes up his feet will be cold. If he isn't wearing feetie jammies and takes his socks off to go to bed he brings this up. I have started putting socks outside his door, since he wakes up earlier than Solomon he won't have to wake Soly up looking for socks.
When we were in Haiti visiting he wanted nothing to do with putting the orphanage shoes back on when we were taking him back to the O. Later after he came home he was always wanting to wear tennis shoes..even in the summer. I really think that it was a comfort to him.
I am amazed at this little thing that we can do to help him feel loved and secure.
I am asked quite often "how can you afford to adopt?" I can honestly say that it isn't easy with 2 more kids. On Sunday our Pastor talked about 1Kings 17:7 and the widow at Zarephath. She had very little flour and oil but was asked to make a cake for Elijah. She did as the Lord asked and she was blessed because of it. We have seen many blessings in our lives as well.
It has been very hard emotionally, physically and financially to add two more kids to our home. I also believe it has been amazing and eye opening. When I think of my son's warm feet all tucked into his bed...with his quilts made by his mommy, and his 5 pillows...and how loved he feels...I would do it again in a heartbeat. I am also so proud of the other kids. I know sometimes it can be frustrating as a kid to have to sacrifice time and stuff...but they LOVE their brothers soooo much. They see the value in their little lives. So many times people have told me that they have thought about adopting but didn't because of 'time, or money'. It is just heartbreaking because these little children are the innocent victims of either adult choices or circumstances of their lives. So many children are waiting for homes, i wish i could save them all..give them all feetie jammies and a family to love them. I wish i could portray to these people too how blessed they will be as well. I know it's not an easy decision. It is a lifelong commitment....but following God's plan is amazing. So, if anyone who reads this has any questions, or ever considered adoption, i would love to chat with you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow.. thank you for this.... I believe your message, so short and sweet, was for me. I sat up last night looking over some papers to adopt from Haiti. I can see we don't have the money for it, just as clear as day; it won't make sense on paper. We cant afford to adopt, we cant afford to add another child. Hubby won't budge; he won't even discuss it because financially we can't do it.

Last night as I put away the papers, I just sighed, realizing he was right. We can't afford to adopt, the costs are great. Nor can we afford to add another child into our already tight household. I began to rethink it... maybe it is me pushing towards adoption and not God. Maybe God doesn't want this for my family. Maybe my mom was right. After all I do have a very reluctant spouse.

I prayed that God would just remove this desire from my heart. It does no good to wish and pray for something that will not happen, right? Just remove it, Lord. Just remove it...

Then I got up this morning to check what times the polls open in my area. I wasn't going to go to read a blog... just check that so that I can get ready to go vote and go to work (it's 5 am here, LOL). I decided to check anyway.... and voila! I see your post.... maybe, just maybe this is a small sign from God telling me not to give up yet; telling me that it IS possible... and that it DOESN'T make sense to me, but it DOES make sense to him... and that I should just press onward and he'll continue to work on hubby. I can't stop the tears now... thank you, thank you, thank you.

Amanda said...

I just think that's precious. the feet thing. so sweet.

Anonymous said...

How precious. I have tears.

Tamara B said...

a perfect post for my introduction to your blog. From a young age, I've had a heart for missions and adoption. When I married Ryan, he wanted his own kids and I wanted to adopt. I can't remember the exact verse, but there's one that says how can two walk together unless they are in agreement. I began praying that God would change our hearts, make us more like him (which in my mind meant that Ryan would want to care for the orphans and the widows).

God did speak to Ryan's heart. We have been in this very situation that you describe here. With two kids to feed, I wonder how can we afford it. Not that we're strapped financially, but we budget tightly and every penny is going to some priority area. We've talked about budgeting for adoption but there's always something else that also needs our financial attention. We do a lot for people in our community to build relationships and love on them. Friday night we had one of the international students over to hang out and have supper. And some time in the next few days Ryan made the comment that maybe this was how God was letting us "adopt" by forming friendships with the international students. Then Sunday night we watched a show where the family adopted kids from Haiti and kids from the inner city. It broke my heart. I want to be obedient to God but am I just finding another excuse as to why I'm not being obedient. At the end of the show, with tears in my eyes, I looked at Ryan and told him that I wanted to adopt.

Haiti has extreme needs and I would love to go there to love children. We have a connection there. But we also have connections to Mongolia and Ethiopia and would love to go there as well.

I look forward to keeping up with your blog. And if you would, please pray for my obedience and for wide-open doors.
(by the way, a childhood friend, Christina sent me your blog. As I scrolled through your pictures, I was homesick for some swedish pancakes and some mexican bakery pastry!)